brick & mortar
The city of Columbus got it's start in 1845 when H. A. Whitney, a Yankee peddler from Vermont, moved to the area and constructed the first wood frame store building on the land where The Whitney building stands today.
Originally constructed in 1916 and used as an automobile and farm implement dealership, 134 N. Dickason was expanded in 1920 with the 140 building. Local lore states it operated as the Schmid & Zick Chrysler dealership for a number of years until they converted it to a bowling alley from the 1940s until 2005. In the 1970s, aluminum siding was placed over the original facade. In 2007 the building owners removed the siding and restored the building's exterior to its original state.
These days, 140 N. Dickason is celebrating new life with the addition of brewing equipment, a 1950's vintage bar and a pizza oven, thanks to the Cercis Brewing crew, with many more memories and stories to come!